20.9.08

It's curtains, folks!

This afternoon, Gabrielle and I paid a visit to the second hand shops on St. Clair West (well, more accurately, the second hand shops within a limited stretch of St. Clair West [there could be countless others tucked away in other corners of the street. There could be scads of them. SCADS!). So, first: Salvation Army Thrift Shop. We were, specifically, looking for a small table for the front porch and curtains for the living room (and possibly some other things). No luck there; although, there was an almost winner in regards to a jacket, which, unfortunately, was too big for Gabrielle. It would probably have looked more appropriate draped across a larger person's frame. Lurch's, for example. What I mean to say is: it was a nice jacket.

After this shop we headed to the Goodwill Store. And success in the form of MAGIC appeared before our very eyes. Hanging amidst the bed linens and tablecloths and valences and material riddled with holes was something almost too marvellous to imagine. A long thin strip of fabric that screamed decadence, aging luxury and possibly a few curse words.

We took the fabric home (as well as Stephen King's Skeleton Crew), but not before stopping off at the Saturday afternoon Green Barn Farmers' Market (on the corner of Wychwood and St. Clair), where we picked up an incredibly tasty baguette. And then we were homeward bound.

We ate a lunch of baguette (that's how we know it's incredibly tasty——we don't just take the seller's word for everything. Caveat emptor and whathaveyou.) and cheese and then got down to business, cranked some good tunes (Ringers, Ampere, This Is My Fist and This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb. In that order. Conveniently, we finished working just before one of my records was to come up in the rotation).

We cut the fabric into three strips and hand sewed into the top a space for the curtain rod that was here when we moved in. And, gosh, they look good!

CLOSED!:




OPEN!:

7 comments:

colour me brad said...

oh my... :-)

Anonymous said...

what in God's name is the piece of material left in the centre when you open them for?!?!

J said...

haha. awesome.

a said...

I hope you saved some material to make a cape.

It just screams super powers and invincibility.

g. said...

The first thing I said when I saw the material was something like,

"I feel like I need to buy this, just so I can drape myself in it all the time. Or wear it as a cape."

It's POWERFUL.

Kelly: in Daniel's post it says that we cut the fabric into three sections. That's because two sections weren't wide enough to cover the whole window when closed. So, we put a piece in the middle which gets rolled up like a blind when the curtains are open.

SUCCESS.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

AHHHH. I read that, but I obviously didn't understand the translation into REALITY.

That fabric is simply amazing.